Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shannon 21 / 30


My wife gave me a book today – well technically she gave it to us both.  Its from her store, and entitled “You Still Give Me Butterflies.”  I haven’t gone into it yet, but you can probably guess, being from her store, it’s a relationship book.  One of those ‘how to rekindle the spark’ type things.  You know the best part about getting that book as a gift?  Knowing we don’t need it.

My wife has enriched my life in so many ways that I lost track long ago of the number of ways in which I love her.  She is the best person I know, hands down.  She is one of the most caring and giving people it has ever been my pleasure to meet.  She is a fantastic mother to our sons, a great partner in our relationship and an upstanding and helping member of our community.

She challenges me in ways that frequently make me lose my mind and sleep on the couch, but always makes me a better man that I was before.  She knows me better than I know myself, and she loves me despite that.

Everyone who has ever come into our lives respects her for her wit and her intelligence.  Those that stick around long enough come to cherish her for her big heart, her big laugh and her biting sarcasm.

She’s a talented woman, playing many, many roles in our lives:  tender shoulder for crying on, tough bitch when she needs to be, strong partner always, fantastic lover when the mood strikes, brave protector of our children, harsh standard holder when we need reminding and always a teacher that moves us toward being better people.

She puts up with my bullshit, except when she doesn’t.  And when she doesn’t, she tells me why, and makes me evaluate my actions and my words.

She’s right about things far more often than is fair, but she’s gracious about it.  Unlike a lot of people, her husband included, she admits when she is wrong and makes amends if she can.

She gives of herself, her time and her labour, to everyone who asks.  We miss her sometimes, but we know she is making other people’s lives better when she isn’t with us – people who don’t have the advantages that we do.

She fights for what is important to her, and doesn’t let anyone stand in the way of her beliefs, but she isn’t afraid to have those beliefs challenged, and even changed.

She’s an advocate for those who need her help, passionate about justice and freedom, especially when those two seem at odds.

She’s curious about the world around her, and is never content with knowing enough about anything.

She’s flighty sometimes, but never about the things that matter.  She’s abrupt sometimes, but makes amends.  Her foot goes into her mouth on a regular schedule, but when she pulls it out, she makes it right.

She’s stubborn as a mule, as disorganized as a tornado and as fierce as a momma lion protecting her cubs.  Piss her off and you’ll regret it.  Make her a friend and you’ll have her loyalty for life.

She’s made my life better.  Actually, that’s not accurate.  She gave me this life I have.  And she continues every day to improve upon it.  I’m just going to try to stay out of her way while she does it, because it’s a hell of a ride.

Thank you Shannon.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment